Friday 22 June 2012

Time out to develop your craft

For me, this week seems to have heavily featured frantically running but getting no where fast. My to-do list is rapidly becoming a to-do novel and, as much as I like a good read, I am sad to say that the ever filling pages of my trusty note book (no I've not quiet fully embraced the digital world yet) are no work of fiction and do unfortunately require my attention and action over the coming weeks.


During a series of frantic email exchanges, chasing paperwork gremlins and listening into live streams of conference presentations it occurred to me that I may be in danger of stepping onto the slippery slope sign posted "Running just to keep up!"  So I stopped and took a moment to ask myself the potentially heart sinking question..."What have I actually achieved this week?"


Now, I am not about to go off on a million mile moan monologue about how busy I am, poor me, no one understands what I have to do, that is pointless and I take total responsibility for the length of the to-do novel I just wonder what it is that fuels the engine. Interestingly (for me anyway, you might think otherwise) when I gave myself the space to think and reflect on what I had truly been using my time for it occurred to me that the things that came to mind where those that involved people. Colleagues, peers, friends and family. Giving time to listen, connect and support where needed whether I was forwarding an email, having a coffee, taking a walk or posing challenging questions. All of this is time consuming and doesn't necessarily generate much visual or tangible output (which if I think we so often measure ourselves by) but, if I'm honest with myself about the contents of my working day, I believe this is the stuff that forms the foundation of what I do and where I draw my energy.


So, I got to thinking ... and reading... and came across an article on Lifehacker that talks about craftsmanship and how it is fundamentally "doing what you love and doing it right." In essence it suggested that no matter what you do in your role, your job is your craft and that you should think of your work as a step towards becoming an expert in what you do or honing your skills. 


Now my funny little brain immediately said... "Yay, I can become an expert coffee drinker and gossip! My life is complete!" but I'm guessing that I should really think a little more deeply than that, right? So I have put on the breaks and given myself permission to take a moment (or three) to consider my craft and plan how best enhance the work I do. Just as building an ornate cabinet requires delicate woodworking skills, maybe I need to identify and consider the tools of my trade and how best to perfect them.


I can't share any conclusions yet as a true craftsman develops over time (or so I am telling myself) but I do promise to update you on my journey and some of the madness that I am sure to find along the way as I try out new things.... who knows I might even switch from coffee and sample a few teas, but let's not get ahead of ourselves!!

"Improve your work by learning from others and from your own experiences"



No comments:

Post a Comment